Friday, October 29, 2010

A Homemade Halloween

Homemade Halloween costumes are the BEST! I'm so glad my kids let me put theirs together this year. It was so much fun. Last night we went to a Halloween event at the school and took the costumes for a test drive!

Doesn't he look freaky?! For Noah's Joker costume, I just got a can of the green hair spray $3, a tray of halloween make-up $1 at the Dollar Tree, and some purple fabric dye $2. The rest of the stuff we had at home. We dyed a cream colored blazer that didn't really fit anyone and it took super well. Costume Total: $6
For Presley's spider costume we got two pairs of men's dress socks from the dollar store $2, filled those us with all the grocery bags I needed to recycle, and made the cool legs! I used safety pins like crazy so I didn't have to sew. We got some wiggly eyes at Michael's for $2 and the black beanie from the dollar store $1. Total for whole costume: $5
Charlie wanted make up like Noah so we made him a dead pirate. We had the pirate accessories in our dress up bin from Disney World (thanks grandma and grandpa!). I just cut the bottom of some old pants to make him a look more authentic. That idea came from my brilliant friend Kate and her little guy's costume. Charlie's costume Total $0. Priceless!!
Then I wore Presley's over sized vampire dress. Ha! I'm a geek, but I love getting into the spirit of the season. Pres later wanted her face painted black! She looked hilarious!
Then here's another shot of Charlie in our neighborhood. It was 80 degrees yesterday and the colors were amazing! Today it's back to the high 50's, but it's still so pretty outside.
Note: giant bag of snacks :) Pirate's booty, Argh!

9 comments:

allegra said...

oh boy i'm so impressed you whipped up all those costumes for so cheap! they're all pretty impressive, but noah's is 'da bomb. he DOES look scary!:) i love that you dyed the jacket yourself, too. way to be domestic and save some moolah!

Clair said...

Wow...Noah literally scares me. He is a perfect copy. Amazingly freaky for sure. You always rock it when it comes it Halloween costumes.

SewSara said...

way to go terese!!!
i agree -- homemade costumes are the best! i had no energy/desire for it this year, though. so we went with the 2nd best option: borrowed! :)

you all look awesome!

Retro Plants said...

nothing like a homemade Halloween!
that is how the retro go :)

OK. Noah is freaking me out!
very spooky!
Pres looked adorable. . . what a GREAT idea!
and of course Charlie is cute too!
pirate pants rock.

Heather said...

You amaze me once again. Noah makes a pretty impressive Joker. All the costumes are great and you once again impress me with your resourcefulness. And we went with the third best option: Craigslist for $5. :)

robin marie said...

wait a minute... did you just say you wore PK's dress!?

Mamas secret london said...

Love your crazy joker boy, hope it's ok to use the phot and link to your blog for my halloween post ? Love, Sian www.thecreativebusstop.com

Mamas secret london said...

Love your crazy joker boy, hope it's ok to use the phot and link to your blog for my halloween post ? Love, Sian www.thecreativebusstop.com

Mamas secret london said...

Love your crazy joker boy, hope it's ok to use the phot and link to your blog for my halloween post ? Love, Sian www.thecreativebusstop.com